A super simple and comforting bowl of lentil curry.
- 1 cup red split lentils
- 3 cups water
- 4 garlic cloves whole
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp cuemin seeds
- Half an onion, thinly sliced
- Splash of oil
- Sliced green bullet chillies
- Chopped coriander
Best cooked in a pressure cooker.
- Rinse the lentils thoroughly then soak in water for 30 mins ( if you’re using a pressure cooker you don’t need to soak them).
- For one cup of lentils add 3 cups of water and bring to boil.
- Add the cloves of garlic and red chilli powder and let it cook in the pressure cooker for 10 minutes. If you’re not using a pressure cooker, let it cook for 30 minutes until it’s all mushy!
- Using a wooden spoon, stir the pot to ensure that the garlic cloves have blended. The texture and consistency should be like a thick soup. If there’s too much water, keep cooking it.
- Then add salt to taste and the chopped green chillies.
- To make the tarka, in a separate pan, add a splash of oil and fry the onions and cumin until the onions are a golden brown colour.
- Pour this over the lentils and add chopped coriander.
Serve with boiled rice or chapatti, some mango pickle and yogurt!